In June 2019 we launched our Butterfly Appeal – an appeal to everyone in Derbyshire to help raise funds for Safe and Sound, allowing us to increase our levels of support and reach even more vulnerable children and young people in our local communities.
Since then we’ve had the following successes –
- We delivered over 870 awareness sessions over 2019 to schools and local community groups, directly supporting over 100 children and young people
- We were chosen as Charity of the Year by several leading local businesses, including Derby County, RBS and Repton Security
- Our Mobile Phone Recycling partnership with Century Mobile and the INTU Centre has raised over £1,000
- We appointed a team of local Ambassadors to help us spread the word about the charity through their own networks within the City and County – read more about them here
- Funding has been secured for two new roles to expand our services – a Family Worker and Education Worker will join us in July 2020 to work with family groups as a whole unit and to focus more specifically on children and young people with Special Educational needs and Disabilities.
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT TO DO MORE
To continue to provide and grow these vital services, we need to raise over £220,000 every year. While we’re able to meet some of this cost through charitable trust and foundation grants, we need to raise £100,000 from fundraising and we need your help.
Visit our JustGiving Campaign Page to find out more
Download a Fundraising Pack
To help you with ideas and the tips and tricks of the trade, we’ve prepared some Fundraising Packs to help you along –
Every penny counts: Here is how the money you raise can help:
- £10 will fund an outreach worker to buy a vulnerable young person a hot meal and a drink
- £25 funds information resources for children and their families
- £200 funds a one to one session for a young person with a youth worker
- £500 would fund a therapist to work with a traumatised child to guide and support them back to a place of safety and dignity
You can now show your support for Safe & Sound when you use Savoo Search, Save and Raise as your online shopping platform. Your efforts cost you nothing because Savoo donates on your behalf. Find out more here – https://www.savoo.co.uk/charities/safe-and-sound
Any child, anywhere is at risk of exploitation.
Abusers do not discriminate based on social background, ethnicity or where they live.
Child Exploitation is a devastating crime with long lasting consequences for the young person, their family and wider community – victims are more likely to experience social isolation, low self-esteem, anxiety, self-harm and a future of abusive or negative relationships.
The Butterfly Appeal is Safe & Sound’s new vision to expand and develop our services across Derbyshire, to help many more young people in desperate need of our support. See on the left our successes since the appeal was launched in June 2019.
Exploitative relationships centre around an imbalance of power with the abuser having an advantage of cognitive ability or physical strength. Initially a relationship will appear normal, but using this imbalance will quickly progress with the end result being that the child or young person is persuaded to do something they did not initially intend to do, often sexual activity or committing crimes.
1 in 20 children is at risk of Child Sexual Exploitation and over 18,700 suspected victims of Child Sexual Exploitation were identified by the NSPCC across the UK in 2018-19. Criminally, two thirds of police forces report that exploitation of young people was identified in relation to County Lines activity, alongside huge rises in the number of ‘deal lines’ criminal gangs use to at least 2,000 in 2019 and a 25% increase in drugs seizures from children at schools between 2016-2019.
Safe and Sound have been working with the most vulnerable children across Derby and Derbyshire since 2002, protecting them from the dangers of exploitation and providing specialist support for children who need further help to understand their situation.
“Tranformation isn’t a butterfly… its huddling in a dark cocoon and then pushing your way out,….the messy work of making sense of doubts, hang-ups and worrys…..so you can go on and become the person you must next become.” Chery Strayed
BE A CHANGE MAKER
INFORMATION LINE: 01332 362120