Working with Adults Affected by Historical Sexual Abuse
This workshop is built around roleplay and interactive discussion to increase the skills of practitioners working with adults who have experienced non-recent child sexual abuse. Suited to professionals with good existing knowledge of non-recent child abuse and working with adults, this course moves towards practical skills built upon counselling, listening and questioning skills.
The workshop will cover broad skills such as responding to the disclosure, responding to emotions in a support session and talking about experiences of child abuse from the adult perspective. It will also cover more specific, common scenarios in adult victim support including how to talk to them about their abuse, how to challenge feelings of self-blame, guilt and collusion, how to respond to common emotional responses to their abuse and how to provide strategies, techniques and tools for adults to cope with their thoughts and feelings.
Suitable for: Practitioners who work directly with adults who have been sexually abused over a period of time
Workshop outcomes and learning objectives
- To improve skills used in supporting adults affected by child sexual abuse
- To practise support skills with other professionals
- To explore how to respond to common responses to non-recent abuse, difficult questions and feelings
- To increase knowledge of skills, strategies and techniques that can be taught to adults who have experienced child sexual abuse
Training start time: 9.30am
Training finish time: 4.30pm (approximately – this may differ slightly on the day)
Lunch and refreshments are included.
We use a mixture of slide presentation, video resources, case studies and small group work in each of our training sessions.
£126 + VAT
5% discount for registered charities and NWG members. Not to be used together or in conjunction with the 3 for 2 offer.
BUY TWO PLACES GET ONE FREE
Buy 2 places on any of our training courses and get the 3rd place free. Just tick ‘3 for 2′ under the Promotional Offer box on the booking form. All three places must be booked on the same course. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer advertised on the website.
WHO WE’VE TRAINED
- Social care – social workers, youth workers, children and family services, local safeguarding children boards, missing person’s teams, youth offending services
- Education professionals – including school nurses, PSHE or Safeguarding Leads
- Healthcare professionals – including GPs and sexual health advisers
- Police, probation and youth offending services
- Residential children’s homes and fostering
- Voluntary and community sector practitioners
- Organisations working in safeguarding, child protection, youth mental health, homelessness, addiction, counselling, victim support, rape and sexual abuse services
On completion of the course delegates will receive a certificate and a Justwhistle electronic badge that can be displayed on their emails.
Information about the training including directions to the venue and parking will be sent after booking.
All of our training venues are booked with delegate accessibility in mind but if you have any specific requirements, please let us know.
If you would like more information about this course: Working with adults affected by historical child sexual abuse, or would like to discuss how this course can be tailored to your needs, please contact us by calling 01332 362 120 or emailing us.